Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8, 2011: A Skip Away!

We spent the morning and early afternoon with mom...we had a wonderful time running errands for her, shopping with her, and of course dining with her. She had an enjoyable day too...something good to see and hear from her. It alone, is a blessing for today and made today special.

My extra-ordinary moment came this evening. The kids were not on their best behavior today, and I was a little put out. Okay, a LOT put out...so much, I was angry with them. I just want them to obey the first time. I get so tired of them pushing me to my limit. Hmmmm...guess I taught them how to do that. Well, if that isn't convicting! Anyway, Keaton is my child whom I butt heads with the most, probably because her will is so much like mine. She is a sweetheart, but when she is mad, she is MAD! (conviction again!) She got so mad today because all three of them had lost their privilege of going to the park-something they were so looking forward to. Her anger and attitude cost her a trip to her room where she breathed words of discontentment under her breath. After a 30-minute break she came to the kitchen a new child, asked for a drink of water, and then turned and skipped away happy as could be. Wow...if I could only change my attitude that easy. Now, this post just has conviction written all of it!!!

What made that moment so special for me was to see the innocence that comes with childhood. It seems like a hop, skip, or jump, automatically makes everything better. Those joyful moments scream of a child who is happy...a child BEING a child...a child not having to deal with the pressures of real life. A child who still has the blessings of not HAVING to grow up too fast. Life was different for me, and although I can remember some fun times, I can't remember many.

I was so blessed to see my child skipping to her destination...so blessed to see how God is so good to me!

Thank you Lord for showing me what a happy childhood looks like through the simple act of a skip. Thank you for giving us security in you. Thank you for giving us a life that allows our children to feel secure....not one that hinders them with financial worries, illness, alcohol addiction, or abandonment.
You ARE a GREAT God!

No comments: