Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Year...Capturing the Small Things

2011. My mother says time goes by faster the older you get. That sure seems true these last couple of years. People die, friendships change, and kids grow up. Of course I've realized that maybe I'm just too busy this year, this month, this week, ...TODAY to notice all of the little things that make life worth remembering...that make it worthy of "slowing down."

This is my resolution for 2011...to take time to enjoy the small things: those small things that could be embedded in everyday life that make it special. ...those small things that could make my ordinary day, an extraordinary day! I know some days it will be obvious what "it" was, and other days I'm sure I will have to look for it. But I'm trusting it is there...I'm trusting that the Lord loves me so much that HE wants my every day to be extraordinary...it's just up to me to find it!

So, with that being said...I will start with today, although a week behind already. :) Paul started his new position with ExxonMobil tonight and the kids and I were able to go visit with my mom. She has been really sick since dad died, and to be quite honest it is sometimes hard to discern if it is truly physical or emotional. Whatever the reason, she doesn't feel well most of the time. Tonight, however, was different. She looked good and was feeling good. We so enjoyed our time together...I love to see her interact with the kids. I love to see her gently pat the kids on the shoulders, arms, or whatever she can reach ...you know, that sweet, little pat that tells them she loves them. I love to see their laughter as they relate to one another. Caleb is full of questions about when she was a little girl and she has said that tomorrow we will get the "box of pictures" down and go through them. She seems amazed at how big Bailey has gotten and how she worries over how Bailey is going to eat with all of the teeth she has lost. :) And then there is Keaton...she truly adores Keaton, and I know Keaton feels the same towards her MawMaw. They share a special bond.

The kids and I will go back and take her shopping tomorrow...as long as she is feeling well. We are even hoping to get in a picnic at the park...the kids are so excited to have MawMaw attend, and I think she is too. :) I know I am!!!

Dear Lord,

Thank you for today...a beautiful day...a day my mother felt well. Thank you for my children and the relationship she has with each of them. You know it was my prayer that my kids would be able to have the chance to really get to know her. Thank you for the simple, BEAUTIFUL evening we had with her tonight. You have blessed me so!!!!

No comments: