Tuesday, October 28, 2008

From Basketball to Jail

Tonight Caleb informed us that HE needs to vote next week. I was quite surprised at his topic of conversation...this all happening coming home from dinner and open house at his school.

"What's that guy's name again?" he asked.

"McCain?" I answered. Only to hear a reply of, "No mom, the other guy...I know who John McCain is." (Well, excuse me!!!) "Barack Obama?"

"Yeah, that's him. I'm going to vote for him."

Okay, now my curiosity was in full swing. Of course, this mother hen gets her feathers ruffled just thinking of how someone may be persuading my kid on political issues, yada, yada, yada.

"Tell me why you are voting for Obama, Caleb."

"Because he plays basketball when he is bored. And he didn't go to jail."

"Well McCain didn't go to jail either."....only to hear a defensive little boy tell me he most certainly did. Then I realized this was his interpretation of a P.O.W.

Wow. Talking about an interesting discussion on the way home!!! After clarifying "jail" to him, I told him that we shouldn't vote on a person if they can play basketball, fight in a war, or what they look like. It shouldn't be because they are a man or a woman, but to vote only how God would have us vote...being to only vote for the person who best believes what guidelines the Bible has. I was trying to be very careful about which "moral subject" to address when another passenger says, "one who believes that killing babies are wrong." Okay, I would have gotten to that issue, but now my son is freaked out that someone wants to kill babies...babies that are in 'their mommy's tummy, and they die, but not the mommy, and it is a bad doctor who helps with that, and how do they do that', and on and on and on. For those of you who know Caleb, you can imagine all of his questions.

Let's just say...my head hurts now. :)

So with that, I urge everyone to go vote next week. I would say vote with your head, but I know we don't ask for wisdom like we should,...I know I don't anyway. I would say vote with your heart, but I know our hearts are sinful. So you must vote with Biblical guidelines. In the end, God isn't going to care about what we thought, or about how we felt...but rather if we were obedient in keeping His word.